[Python-Dev] Should Python's library modules be written to help the freeze tools?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jan 30 23:50:53 CET 2005

Tony Meyer wrote:
> The main question (to steal Thomas's words) is whether the library modules
> should be written to help the freeze tools - if the answer is 'yes', then
> I'll submit the above as a patch for 2.5.

The answer to this question certainly is "yes, if possible". In this
specific case, I wonder whether the backwards compatibility is still
required in the first place. According to PEP 291, Greg Smith and
Barry Warsaw decide on this, so I think they would need to comment
first because any patch can be integrated. If they comment that 2.1
compatibility is still desirable, your patch would be fine (I guess);
if they say that the compatibility requirement can be dropped for 2.5,
I suggest that the entire exec statement is removed, along with the
conditional clause.

Regards,
Martin