[Python-Dev] Adding the 'path' module (was Re: Some RFE for review)

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 01:46:59 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum:

> Whoa! Do we really need a completely different mechanism for doing the
> same stuff we can already do?

   One benefit I see for the path module is that it makes it easier to
write code that behaves correctly with unicode paths on Windows.
Currently, to implement code that may see unicode paths, you must
first understand that unicode paths may be an issue, then write
conditional code that uses either a string or unicode string to hold
paths whenever a new path is created.

   Neil