[Python-Dev] Terminology for PEP 343

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sat Jul 2 03:04:19 CEST 2005

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> On a separate note, I also propose that __exit__() be renamed to
> __leave__().  The enter/leave word pairing are a better fit in standard
> English:

I tend to associate leave with leaving, and leaving with arriving.

I didn't even think the __enter__ / __exit__ names were an issue.  <shrug>

Then again there's alway  __premanage__ and __postmanage__.  That fits
Nicks requirement for visual pairing as they both start with 'p'. And
then calling it a manager object fits very nicely too.

Hmmm,  wonder if you could implement programs based on gant charts using
nested manager objects?  Would the nested managers be mid-level managers?

This might have some marketing appeal to large corporations. ;-)

Ron