[Python-Dev] Terminology for PEP 343

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Jul 4 09:38:20 CEST 2005

"Raymond Hettinger" <python at rcn.com> writes:

> Another trouble with "resource managed" is that it makes little sense
> even when describing something that is clearly a resource (for instance,
> "locking objects are resource managed", what the heck could that mean,
> there is no hint about the presence of __enter__ and __exit__ or the
> ability to work with the "with" keyword).

At this point, I'm almost liking 'witherator'.  At least it's
something you can look up in the index.

(I think Raymond has identified the problem I have with resource
manager more clearly then I did; I certainly don't think I'd realise
what "decimal.Context() is a resource manager" meant at first
reading).

Cheers,
mwh

--