[Python-Dev] using pyhon from the MSYS shell

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jul 6 04:11:41 CEST 2005

""Martin v. Löwis"" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote in message
news:42CB12F8.9070406 at v.loewis.de...
> Aahz wrote:
>> Hrm.  I thought we told people to start with comp.lang.python for
>> porting questions, but I'm happy to be corrected.
>
> I'm unaware of such a policy, but I may have missed the relevant
> discussion. I could understand that questions of the kind "I tried
> to build Python on X, and the compiler gave me the error message
> Y" are for comp.lang.python - these messages are really the of the
> "I need help" kind.

I had the same impression as Aahz: questions about how to use the existing
distribution should go to c.l.p.  Besides keeping pydev clear, someone once
claimed (as I remember) that there are many people with experience building
Python on various systems that read c.l.p but not pydev.  (Still true?
don't know!)

On the otherhand, once that fails and someone thinks the codebase needs
more #ifdefs, then it does become a pydev matter.  And you saw right off
that MSYS support might need just that.

tjr