[Python-Dev] Possible C API problem?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jul 6 14:35:49 CEST 2005

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> Gary Robinson wrote:
>> Are the docs wrong or am I misreading them? Or are you wrong?
>
> It turns out that I am wrong.

This is a long standing confusion.  At one point, the documentation
said what you said, and it was just as wrong.  There were even
inaccurate PyNoArgsCFunction typedefs in some header!

I think Python in a Nutshell is wrong here too.

> The NOARGS functions are indeed called with an additional NULL
> argument; it's just that many functions with NOARGS in Python itself
> are declared without the additional argument.

I've been fixing these when I find them, slowly.

Fortunately (and obviously, given the lack of bug reports) it won't
make any difference with any ABI I know about.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I have gathered a posie of other men's flowers, and nothing but
  the thread that binds them is my own.                   -- Montaigne