[Python-Dev] using pyhon from the MSYS shell

lode leroy lode_leroy at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 6 09:08:11 CEST 2005

>From: "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>
>I'm personally in favour of supporting "MSYS" as a target system.
>If you want to do it, I'm willing to review patches, but I'm not
>willing to do them myself, as I don't use MSYS.
>
>If you believe that MSYS is a target system in a way similar to
>mingw32, and to cygwin,

actually, MSYS is the package that has the command line tools
(i.e. bash, tar, cp, automake, ...) required to be able to compile
a native windows binary from a source distribution that is depending
on autotools.

>I believe it should get the same treatment
>as mingw32 and cygwin. That means all places that currently deal
>with either of these two systems should also deal with MSYS in
>a similar way. What this means in actual code, I don't know.
>
>OTOH, I already fail to follow you in the very first assumption:
>why is it that you need to change os.sep on MSYS?

"configure" detects what the install-path is (python -c "print os.syspath")
which returns C:\Python. MSYS uses a bash shell which does not
like "\" but needs "/" as os.sep.

Anyways, in the mean time, it's been solved in the m4 files...
Maybe it's better to ask the automake guys to support Python
with MSYS...