[Python-Dev] Chaining try statements: eltry?

Thomas Lotze thomas at thomas-lotze.de
Thu Jul 7 10:38:33 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum <gvanrossum at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also notice that your only example is very repetitive, and would be
> better written as a loop, using Python's dynamic nature:

Sure, that's true for the example given. Getting other stuff into a form
which allows for looping may require additional code.

But then, the example was intended to illustrate, not persuade. It's
fine with me if you're determined that eltry is a bad (or at least not
good enough) idea. I do wish for it occasionally, but that's true for a
number of things.

Thinking about it some more, I find that a symmetry between statements
which have an 'else' part would be appealing from an aesthetic point of
view, which includes introduction of 'elfor' and 'elwhile' - or allowing
for syntax like 'else if ...:' and 'else try:'. (It seems some people
favour that anyway. OTOH, I undestand that introducing two-token
constructs doesn't necessarily simplify parsing.) But I haven't
encountered any use cases for that, so it's probably just idle musing.

--

Viele Grüße,
Thomas