[Python-Dev] Chaining try statements: eltry?

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 19:48:39 CEST 2005

On 7/7/05, François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> [Guido van Rossum]
>
> > I even wonder if else-clauses on for/while were a good idea.
>
> I surely find them useful, and see them as a Python originality (a
> welcome one).

They are indeed an original invention. (One day I looked at the
similarity between if and while and noticed that there was a use case
for else after while too.)

The question remains whether Python would be easier to learn without
them. And if so, the question would remain whether that's offset by
their utility for experienced developers. All hard to assess
impartially!