[Python-Dev] Chaining try statements: eltry?

Jeremy Hylton jhylton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 21:42:58 CEST 2005

On 7/7/05, Guido van Rossum <gvanrossum at gmail.com> wrote:
> The question remains whether Python would be easier to learn without
> them. And if so, the question would remain whether that's offset by
> their utility for experienced developers. All hard to assess
> impartially!

I think Python would clearly be easier to learn without them-- less
syntax and semantics for loops that are in almost every program.  I
hardly ever use them myself, and I doubt that I'd really miss them.
(Every time they come up, I need to think carefully about what they
mean.)

As for impartial assessment, how many uses are there in the standard
library?  How many of those uses are clearer than other alternatives?
Seems like an assessment of those questions is within reach.

Jeremy

PS Every time I switch between Python and C, I get confused about
"elif" and "else if".