[Python-Dev] Linux Python linking with G++?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Fri Jul 8 05:17:09 CEST 2005

If we change the linker back to gcc, not g++, will it work if extension
module 1 gets linked with libstdc++ A and ABI Q, and extension module 2
gets linked with libstdc++ B and ABI Z?

What if a built-in module is written in C++, as it might be for some
people embedding C++? (this will force use of g++ as the linker, right?)

Don't these cases matter too?  Assuming they can fail now, how will
changing the use of CXX as the linker fix them?

Jeff
PS The Python 2.3 and Python 2.4 binaries installed on my Fedora Core
machine don't list libstdc++ in `rpm -q --requires python' or `ldd
/usr/bin/python'.  I don't see a patch that would change Python's
behavior in the SRPM, though.  I wonder what the difference is between
my FC2 and the other systems...