[Python-Dev] Triple-quoted strings and indentation

Andrew Durdin adurdin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 13:27:40 CEST 2005

On 7/7/05, Guido van Rossum <gvanrossum at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think so. It smells too much of DWIM, which is very unpythonic. EIBTI.

In what way? The scheme described is explicit, and consistently
applied to all triple-quoted strings[*] -- although the rules are
different to the current behaviour. On the other hand, my written
proposal may not be clear or explicit, something I will attempt to
remedy over the next few days.

[*] Whether it should apply also to normal strings with escaped
newlines is not something I have yet considered.

Andrew