[Python-Dev] Possible context managers in stdlib

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jul 11 16:01:08 CEST 2005

    >> Ummm...  What's a "context manager"?

    Michael> Something that goes

    Michael> with ... as var:
    Michael>      ^ here

    Michael> If you have a better name, feel free to suggest it, but please
    Michael> catch up on python-dev first (it's been discussed to
    Michael> unconsciousness, if not quite death, in the last week or so).

After seeing so many messages about "with" statements my eyes began to glaze
over, so I stopped following that thread.  Then I saw mention of "context
manager" with no reference to any PEPs or to the with statement to provide
context.  None of the context-providing messages seemed to have been indexed
by Google when I checked, so searching for "Python context manager" failed
to return anything useful.  Hence the post.

BTW, "context manager" seems fine to me in that context...

Skip