[Python-Dev] zlib 1.2.3 is just out

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 03:50:49 CEST 2005

[Scott David Daniels]

[Raymond Hettinger]
>>> +1 on backporting, but that is up to Anthony.

[Martin v. L?wis wrote]
>> Correct me if I'm wrong - but there isn't much "porting" to this.
>> AFAICT, this is only relevant for the Windows build (i.e. which
>> version is used in the binaries). For the source distribution, there
>> should be no change (except for PCbuild/readme.txt, which should
>> reflect the version that is used in the Windows build). FWIW,
>> this currently talks about 1.2.1.

[Trent Mick]
> Here is a patch to do this (attached) that works on the trunk and
> against the Python-2.4.1.tgz source tarball. Shall I check this into the
> HEAD and release24-maint?

Definitely on HEAD, almost certainly on 24 maint.  The slight
uncertainty wrt the latter is due to the slim possibility that they
also made this version of zlib incompatible in some way.  I doubt
that, but I haven't tried it.

BTW, the NEWS files should add a blurb saying Python moved to a new
zlib, under a "Windows" section.