[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 02:07:36 CEST 2005

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Converting the CVS Repository
> =============================
>
> The Python CVS repository contains two modules: distutils and
> python. Keeping them together will produce quite long repository
> URLs, so it is more convenient if the Python CVS and the distutils
> CVS are converted into two separate repositories.

If I understand things correctly, one project/one repo creates a 'hard' barrier
for moving code across projects (while retaining history, so done via an svn
command).  Is the 'long url' really the only argument for this, and is it
significant enough?  Instead of:

https://svn.python.org/python
https://svn.python.org/distutils

you could have

https://svn.python.org/main/python
https://svn.python.org/main/distutils

or something similar.  It's an extra few chars, and it would give a convenient
way to branch off pieces of the main code into their own subprojects in the
future if needed.

For more experimental things, you can always have other repos:

https://svn.python.org/someotherrepo/...

But maybe the issue of moving code isn't too important, I'm certainly no expert
on svn.

Cheers,