[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 04:14:10 CEST 2005

[Jeff Rush]
> The conversion script isn't perfect and does fail on complex CVS
> arrangements or where there is extensive history to migate.  However it
> appears above that Martin has already tried the script out, with success.

I'd still like to hear from Jim, as I don't believe all serious
problems were identified by eyeball at once.  That said, the Python
project has made relatively very little use of complex (for CVS)
concepts like branching, but in Zopeland it wasn't unusual, over long
stretches, for someone to make a new branch every day.

Ah, before I forget, "single repository" has worked very well for Zope
(which includes top-level Zope2, Zope3, ZODB, ZConfig, zdaemon, ...
projects):

    http://svn.zope.org/

Long URLs don't really get in the way in practice (rarely a need to
type one after initial checkout; even "svn switch" is usually just a
tail-end cmdline edit starting from a copy+paste of "svn info"
output).