[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 04:59:50 CEST 2005

[Tim]
>> Ah, before I forget, "single repository" has worked very well for Zope
>> (which includes top-level Zope2, Zope3, ZODB, ZConfig, zdaemon, ...
>> projects):
>>
>>     http://svn.zope.org/
>>
>> Long URLs don't really get in the way in practice (rarely a need to
>> type one after initial checkout; even "svn switch" is usually just a
>> tail-end cmdline edit starting from a copy+paste of "svn info"
>> output).

[Barry]
> It depends.  In my use of svn, I do a lot of cross-branch merging and
> repo-side tagging.

Yup, me too -- between the two of us, we don't have enough fingers to
count how many trunks, branches, and tags of ZODB and Zope I have to
fiddle with.

> Those are done with urls and in those cases, long urls can suck.

They're all still copy, paste, tail-edit for me, and-- indeed!
--having them all in the same repository is what makes just-the-tail
editing possible.  Merges I do from the cmdline, but repo-side tagging
I do with the TortoiseSVN GUI, and the latter gives
easy-to-copy/paste/edit URL fields.  So switch to Windows for that
part ;-)

> But we may not do a ton of that with the Python project,
> and besides it might not be important enough to split the directories.

Ya, in Python we make a branch about once per release, + once per 5
years when Jeremy underestimates how long it will take to finish a
crusade <wink>.