[Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Exception Reorganization for Python 3.0

Brett Cannon bcannon at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 04:03:15 CEST 2005

On 7/30/05, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:

> Brett Cannon <bcannon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > +-- Warning
> > >      +-- DeprecationWarning
> > >      +-- FutureWarning
> > >      +-- PendingDeprecationWarning
> >
> > Don't like the idea of having DeprecationWarning inherit from
> > PendingDeprecationWarning?
>
> Not all DeprecationWarnings are Pending, but all
> PendingDeprecationWarnings are DeprecationWarnings.

See, I don't agree with that logic.  DeprecationWarning means
something has been deprecated, while PendingDeprecationWarning means
something will be deprecated in the future.  I am say that the for
DeprecationWarning, the future is now and thus is a
PendingDeprecationWarning as well.

It also just makes sense from the standpoint of catching warnings.  If
you care about catching PendingDeprecationWarning you are going to
care about catching a DeprecationWarning since if you are worrying
about the less severe version you are definitely going to care about
the most severe case.

-Brett