[Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Exception Reorganization for Python 3.0

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Sun Jul 31 08:27:28 CEST 2005

On Saturday 30 July 2005 22:20, Brett Cannon wrote:
 > True, but the hierarchy should still properly reflect increasing
 > severity in my opinion.  I am going to push for this; we will see if I
 > get pushed back enough to not do it.

I have no idea what you mean by "properly reflect increasing severity".
Should the more severe or less severe case be derived from the other?  I
doubt there is a single answer that we can readily agree on.

If DeprecationWarning and PendingDeprecationWarning need a class-hierarchy
relationship (and I think they do; it *is* reasonable for someone to deal
with them generically if they can reasonably want to deal with either), then
it seems they need a common base:

  +--AnyDeprecationWarning
     +--DeprecationWarning
     +--PendingDeprecationWarning