[Python-Dev] Thoughts on stdlib evolvement

Reinhold Birkenfeld reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net
Mon Jun 6 20:20:26 CEST 2005

Hello,

I am currently having some thoughts about the standard library, with regard
to Python 2.5 and 3.0. Since I don't want to withhold them from you, here
are they ;)

- Flat namespace: Should we tend to a more hierarchic library (e.g.
  inet.url, inet.http, inet.nntp)? This would increase clarity when
  searching for a module.

- 3rd party modules: There are many superb modules out there, some of which
  really do have a "standard" character. Examples include PIL, numarray,
  ElementTree, [wxPython - I know this is a hairy issue],

- User interface: Tkinter may be "the" standard, but other Toolkits deserve
  notice, notably wxPython and PyGtk, the latter of which might be even
  easier to package.

Reinhold, please don't hit me!

--
Mail address is perfectly valid!