[Python-Dev] Thoughts on stdlib evolvement

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jun 7 00:17:54 CEST 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

>>> If Fred were up for it, I think ElementTree would be a wonderful,
>>> must-have addition.
>>>

>> I might be missing fine details of the English language here
>> (what does "to be up for something" mean?), however, I believe
>> ElementTree is an unlikely addition to the standard library.
>>

> Rewritten:
>
> If Fredrik Lundh were supportive of the idea, I think the Standard
> Library would benefit greatly from incorporating ElementTree.

Personally I'd like to see the standard library get smaller rather
than larger.  There's a whole lot of bit rot in there, and since
sys.path prefers the standard library over anything else it's a
really huge pain to integrate patches on a faster release schedule
than Python's while remaining sane at the same time.

-bob