[Python-Dev] Thoughts on stdlib evolvement

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 06:27:41 CEST 2005

Josiah Carlson wrote:

> Fernando Perez wrote:

>> I've wondered if it wouldn't be better if the std lib were all stuffed into
>> its own namespace:
>>
>> from std import urllib
>>
>> If a more structured approach is desired, it could be
>>
>> from std.www import urllib
>
> This generally brings up the intersection of stdlib and nonstdlib naming
> hierarchy.  More specifically, what does "import email" mean?
> Presumably it means to import the email module or package, but from the
> current module directory, or from the standard library?

Well, I've thought of this (ligthly) mostly as a py3k thing, since it would
require that 'import email' in the naked fails, as it would become 'import
std.email', or 'import std.www.email' or whatever.  A plain 'import email'
would then refer to some third-party 'email' module, not part of the standard
library.

Since this would mean a massive break of exisiting code, it would necessarily be
a py3k issue.  But nonetheless the idea of confinign the stdlib to the 'std'
namespace does have some appeal, at least to me.

Best,