[Python-Dev] Thoughts on stdlib evolvement

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Fri Jun 10 16:48:35 CEST 2005

> > moving the main trunk and main development over to the Python CVS is
> > another thing, entirely.
>
> (as I've said many times before, both the user community and the developer
> community would benefit if the core standard library were made smaller, and
> more externally maintained packages were included in the standard releases)

An issue to consider about this is that maintainers (not talking about
you or anyone else specifically) have different concepts of stability,
and while it may seem perfectly ok to refactor external modules between
two stable releases, doing so in the standard library would spread fear
and "python is so untrustful" feelings.

That's something a good police, reflecting practices that we learn
"by osmose" while living in that environment (python-dev) for a while,
could try to handle. Enforcing it is another issue, of course.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net