[Python-Dev] Five patch reviews & patch request

Michiel De Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Fri Jun 10 18:59:03 CEST 2005

Recently, I reviewed the following five patches:

[  827386 ] absolute paths cause problems for MSVC
[ 1161914 ] python-config
[ 1187396 ] Add const specifier to PySpam_System prototype
[ 1196895 ] in IDLE, assume new text files are python source by default
[ 1196917 ] change recall in IDLE shell to not overwrite current command

Below are the summaries of the patch reviews.

I'd like to ask your attention to this patch:

[ 1049855 ] PyOS_InputHook inconsistency on Windows

Kurt Kaiser has already looked at this patch, but was hesitant to check it in
because he wasn't able to test it on Windows. I'd be happy to send a compiled
Python for Windows to anybody willing to have a look at this patch.

Thanks!

--Michiel.

Patch review summaries:
-----------------------

[ 827386 ] absolute paths cause problems for MSVC
Solves an inconsistency between distutils' msvccompiler.py and ccompiler.py.
I am surprised by how absolute paths are handled in ccompiler.py, so I'm not
wholeheartedly in favor of copying this behavior to msvccompiler.py.

[ 1161914 ] python-config
Currently, the patch seems to be broken. Better integration with distutils is
needed. Can't recommend this patch in its current form.

[ 1187396 ] Add const specifier to PySpam_System prototype
This error is already fixed in Revision 1.33 of
python/dist/src/Doc/ext/extending.tex. Patch can be closed.

[ 1196895 ] in IDLE, assume new text files are python source by default
When going to File > New in IDLE, currently IDLE assumes that the new file is
a generic text file. With the patch, IDLE assumes that the new file contains
python source code by default, and uses syntax highlighting. Whereas
currently syntax highlighting is switched on as soon as the file is saved as
*.py, after the patch syntax highlighting is not switched off if the file is
saved as *.txt. So the patch does not seem to be perfectly OK.

[ 1196917 ] change recall in IDLE shell to not overwrite current command
I agree that this patch makes IDLE easier to use. Recommend applying this
patch.

Michiel de Hoon
Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
Columbia University
1150 St Nicholas Avenue
New York, NY 10032