[Python-Dev] PEP 343 - next steps

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat Jun 11 00:49:50 CEST 2005

> - throw() is a term taken from Java & C++.

This was intended.  There was much discussion about this for PEP 288 and
this was more or less a concensus choice.  The term is already
associated with exceptions in other languages and it captures the
concept of the raise occurring somewhere else (what is thrown at or
into).  It is simple, clear, and tends to suggest all the right things.

I have no doubt that someone can point out differing semantics in other
languages but I don't care.  The verbal cue is what we are after.

Raymond