[Python-Dev] PEP 343 - next steps

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 16:56:54 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> While there's still some activity in the Wiki, nothing (to me) sounds
> like signs of serious disagreement or truly better alternatives. So I
> think I'd like to move forward towards acceptance soon (before
> EuroPython).

I agree with keeping throw() as the exception injection method name,
and the addition of required parentheses when using tuple unpacking
when creating VAR.

I also added a new question to the Wiki regarding what, if any,
guarantees will be made regarding when (or if) asynchronous interrupts
will be blocked. Given that the call to __enter__() can invoke
arbitrary Python code, is pushing the with statement setup inside a
single opcode actually sufficient?

It also considers the possibility of using with statements in an RAII
style by acquiring the resource in __init__ or __new__ rather than
__enter__.

This is a topic that got a brief mention during early discussion here,
but doesn't seem to be covered in the current version of PEP 343.

Regards,
Nick.