[Python-Dev] PEP 343 - next steps

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sun Jun 12 22:17:38 CEST 2005

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> writes:

> It also considers the possibility of using with statements in an RAII
> style by acquiring the resource in __init__ or __new__ rather than
> __enter__.

While you can probably do this (after all, most of the time
__new__/__init__ and __enter__ will be called in rapid succession) I
really think the RAII meme doesn't apply to Python; you generally want
a resource to be acquired for a period of definite extent, and objects
in Python have indefinite extent, unlike C++ where automatic variables
have definite extent (Common Lisp terminology here).

I've gone on at length about this before:

     http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/pep310/

Cheers,
mwh

--
 Have you considered downgrading your arrogance to a reasonable level?
        -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp, to yet another C++-using troll