[Python-Dev] Withdrawn PEP 288 and thoughts on PEP 342

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jun 17 05:05:17 CEST 2005

At 10:26 PM 6/16/2005 -0400, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>288 was brought out of retirement a few months ago.  Guido hated every
>variation of argument passing and frequently quipped that data passing
>was trivially accomplished though mutable arguments to a generator,
>through class based iterators, or via a global variable.  I believe all
>of those comments were made recently and they all apply equally to 342.

Clearly, then, he's since learned the error of his ways.  :)

More seriously, I would say that data passing is not the same thing as
coroutine suspension, and that PEP 340 probably gave Guido a much better
look at at least one use case for the latter.

In the meantime, I applaud your foresight in having invented significant
portions of PEP 343 years ahead of time.  Now give Guido back his time
machine, please.  :)  If you hadn't borrowed it to write the earlier PEP,
he could have seen for himself that all this would happen, and neatly
avoided it by just approving PEP 288 to start with.  :)