[Python-Dev] Terminology for PEP 343

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at verizon.net
Thu Jun 30 23:41:16 CEST 2005

With 343 accepted, we can now add __enter__() and __exit__() methods to
objects.

What term should describe those objects in the documentation?

For instance, if the new magic methods are added to decimal.Context(),
do we then describe Context objects as "withable" ;-)

The PEP itself doesn't provide much of a clue.  The terms "template",
"wrapper", and "block" are over-broad and do not provide a metaphor for
setup/teardown, r entry/exit, or initialization/finalization.

Whatever term is selected, it should be well thought-out and added to
the glossary.  The choice of words will likely have a great effect on
learnability and on how people think about the new tool.

Raymond