[Python-Dev] Memory Allocator Part 2: Did I get it right?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Mar 5 05:55:23 CET 2005

Evan Jones wrote:
> Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread, it has been one of
> those weeks for me.
>
> On Feb 16, 2005, at 2:50, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>> Evan then understood the feature, and made it possible.
>

> This is very true: it was a very useful exercise.
>
>> I can personally accept breaking the code that still relies on the
>> invalid APIs. The only problem is that it is really hard to determine
>> whether some code *does* violate the API usage.
>

> Great. Please ignore the patch on SourceForge for a little while. I'll
> produce a "revision 3" this weekend, without the compatibility hack.

Evan uploaded the newest version (@ http://www.python.org/sf/1123430) and he
says it is "complete".

Assuming a code review says the patch is sane, do we want to go with this
garbage collection change?  From past discussions I don't remember a consensus
on acceptance or rejection, just lots of discussion about ripping out the hacks
to allow freeing memory w/o holding the GIL (I assume Evan's patch rips that
code out).

-Brett