[Python-Dev] Re: No new features

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Mar 9 15:48:17 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005, Michael Hudson wrote:

> No no no!  The point of what Anthony is saying, as I read it, is that
> experience suggests it is exactly this sort of change that should be
> avoided.  Consider the case of Mac OS X 10.2 which came with Python
> 2.2.0: this was pretty broken anyway because of some apple snafus but
> it was made even more useless by the fact that people out in the wild
> were writing code for 2.2.1 and using True/False/bool.  Going from
> 2.x.y to 2.x.y+1 shouldn't break anything, going from 2.x.y+1 to 2.x.y
> shouldn't break anything that doesn't whack into a bug in 2.x.y -- and
> "not having bool" isn't a bug in this sense.

Yes, exactly.  That's why I wrote PEP 6 in the first place, and
experience has only led to tightening things up further.  The specific
example of 2.2.1 and bool is even worse than you're noting, because
2.3's bool works a bit differently, so you have to actually code for
three different problems in two major versions.  Sehr schlecht.

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR