[Python-Dev] unicode inconsistency?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Mar 9 20:04:40 CET 2005

Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:10:59AM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>The patch implements the PyObjbect_Text() idea (an API that
>>returns a basestring instance, ie. string or unicode) and
>>then uses this in '%s' (the string version) to properly propogate
>>to u'%s' (the unicode version).
>>
>>Maybe we should also expose the C API as suggested in the patch,
>>e.g. as text(obj).
>

> Perhaps the right thing to do is introduce a new format code that
> means insert text(obj) instead of str(obj), e.g %t.  If we do that
> though then we should make "'%s' % u'xyz'" return a string instead of
> a unicode object.  I suspect that would break a lot of code.

It would result in lots of UnicodeErrors due to failing
conversion of the Unicode string to a string. Plus it
would break with the general rule of always coercing to
Unicode (see below) and lose us the ability to write
polymorphic code.

> OTOH, having %s mean text(obj) instead of str(obj) may work just
> fine.  People who want it to mean str() generally don't have any
> unicode strings floating around so text() has the same effect.
> People who are using unicode probably would find text() to be more
> useful behavior.  I think that's why someone hacked PyString_Format
> to sometimes return unicode strings.

That wasn't a hack: it's part of the Unicode integration logic
which always coerces to Unicode if strings and Unicode meet. In
the above case a string format string meets a Unicode object as
argument which then results in a Unicode object to be returned.

> Regarding the use of  __str__, to return a unicode object: we could
> introduce a new slot (e.g. __text__) instead.  However, I can't see
> any advantage to that.  If someone really wants a str object then
> they call str() or PyObject_Str().

Right.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 09 2005)