[Python-Dev] SWT PyCon Sprint?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Mar 10 17:00:39 CET 2005

At 01:38 AM 3/10/05 -0500, Nicholas Bastin wrote:
>I realize that this is exceedingly late in the game, but is anybody
>interested in doing a Write-Python-Bindings-for-SWT sprint?  It's been
>brought up before in various places, and PyCon seems the likely place to
>get enough concentrated knowledge to actually get it kicked off and
>somewhat working...

I'm certainly interested in the concept in general, though I'm curious
whether the planned approach is a GCJ/SWIG wrapper, or a javaclass
(bytecode translation)+ctypes dynamic approach.  I'm somewhat more
interested in the latter approach, as I find C++ a bit of a pain with
respect to buildability.

An additional complication is that SWT is a different package on each
platform, so it's not so much "port SWT to Python" as "port SWT-windows to
Python", "port SWT-Mac to Python", etc.

(I assume that you're talking about porting to a JVM-less CPython
extension, since if you were to leave it in Java you could just use Jython
or one of the binary Python-Java bridges to access SWT as-is.)