[Python-Dev] Can't build Zope on Windows w/ 2.4.1c1

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 17:31:27 CET 2005

I don't know how far I'll get with this.  Using the current
Zope-2_7-branch of the Zope module at cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository,
building Zope via

    python setup.py build_ext -i

worked fine when I got up today, using the released Python 2.4.  One
of its tests fails, because of a Python bug that should be fixed in
2.4.1.

So I wanted to test that.  After uninstalling 2.4, then installing
2.4.1c1, then deleting Zope's lib\python\build directory, the attempt
to build Zope works fine for quite a while (successfully compiles many
chunks of Zope C code), but dies here:

building 'ZODB.cPickleCache' extension
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc\bin\cl.exe
     /c /nologo /Ox /MD /W3 /GX /DNDEBUG
    -IC:\Code\Zope-2_7-branch\lib\Components\ExtensionClass\src
    -IC:\python24\include
    -IC:\python24\PC
    /TcZODB/cPickleCache.c
    /Fobuild\temp.win32-2.4
    \Release\ZODB/cPickleCache.obj
    cPickleCache.c
error: No such file or directory

I don't know which file it's complaining about.  In contrast, output I
saved from building Zope with 2.4 this morning appears identical up to
this point:

building 'ZODB.cPickleCache' extension
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin\cl.exe
    /c /nologo /Ox /MD /W3 /GX /DNDEBUG
    -IC:\Code\Zope-2_7-branch\lib\Components\ExtensionClass\src
    -IC:\python24\include
    -IC:\python24\PC
    /TcZODB/cPickleCache.c
    /Fobuild\temp.win32-2.4
    \Release\ZODB/cPickleCache.obj
    cPickleCache.c

but then, instead of an error, it goes on to link (and build more C stuff):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin\link.exe
    /DLL /nologo /INCREMENTAL:NO
    /LIBPATH:C:\python24\libs
    /LIBPATH:C:\python24\PCBuild
    /EXPORT:initcPickleCache
    build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\ZODB/cPickleCache.obj
    /OUT:ZODB\cPickleCache.pyd
    /IMPLIB:build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\ZODB\cPickleCache.lib
    Creating library build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\ZODB\cPickleCache.lib and
        object build\temp.win32-2.4\Release\ZODB\cPickleCache.exp
building 'ZODB.TimeStamp' extension

Gets stranger:  cPickleCache.c is really part of ZODB, and

     python setup.py build

continues to work fine with 2.4.1c1 from a ZODB3 checkout (and using
the same branch tag as was used for Zope).

Anyone change anything here for 2.4.1 that rings a bell?

Can anyone confirm that they can or can't build current Zope 2.7 on
Windows with 2.4.1c1 too?

If it's not unique to my box, is it unique to Windows (e.g., can
anyone build current Zope on Linux with 2.4.1c1)?