[Python-Dev] distutils/PyPI package metadata fields

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Mar 21 17:37:49 CET 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 10:08, Thomas Heller wrote:
 > I'm not sure where I should post this, but shouldn't there be a way to
 > specify the encoding of the metadata?  There are people (not me,
 > fortunately), with umlauts in their names, for example.

Agreed.  I think there are a number of additional metadata fields which would
be valuable, but which don't exist.  Given that PEP 314 is close to being
completely implemented, that's probably not the place to add them.

I think a new PEP should be written to describe the new fields, and call that
Metadata-Version 1.2.  Some sort of Metadata-Encoding field should be
included.  There should also be a field for the version of Python that's
required.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>