[Python-Dev] [AST] question about marshal_write_*() fxns

Brett C. bac at ocf.berkeley.edu
Mon Mar 21 20:17:48 CET 2005

Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:53:04AM -0500, Brett C. wrote:
>
>>But one of things I am not sure of is what the marshal_write_*() functions
>>in Python/Python-ast.c are used for.  I assume they output to the marshal
>>format, but there is mention of a byte stream format and so I thought it
>>might be that as well.
>

> I believe the idea is that they can be used to move an AST back and
> forth between Python "space" (e.g. you could build an AST using
> Python code and then marshal it and send it to the C compiler).

Jeremy emailed me and said the same thing.  Name should be changed, though, to
prevent this confusion.  Jeremy thought maybe the name should be changed.  Here
are some ideas for a different name (thinking in terms of what the name would
be changed to for the prefix of the function names):

- byte_encode
- linear_form
- zephyr_encoding
- flat_form
- flat_prefix
- prefix_form
- scheme_form  =)

For those that don't know and it wasn't obvious from the names, the format is a
prefix-based, linear form.

-Brett