[Python-Dev] webbrowser.py: browser >/dev/null 2>&1

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Thu Mar 24 00:39:41 CET 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 07:40, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
 >    While I'm working on webbrowser... Why do all graphical browsers are
 > called with their stdout/stderr redirected to /dev/null? Do we really
 > need to hide problems from the user? Browsers are usually silent beasts
 > - they interact with the user using windows, not stdio.

I don't remember why I did that; feel free to remove it.  If it's actually
useful, then 1) it should turn up before 2.5 final anyway, 2) we really want
to know why, even if it just turns into a code comment, and 3) it should
probably be controllable via the API, if its useful at all.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>