[Python-Dev] A bunch of patch reviews

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Mar 27 10:16:28 CEST 2005

Below are a set of five patch reviews. I don't have any patch to push for at
this point, so these patch reviews are just for you to read and enjoy. Thanks
everybody for developing and maintaining Python. I wouldn't know what to do
without it.

--Michiel.

Patch [ 853890 ] Optional keyword unicode args not handled correctly
The skipitem function in Python/getargs.c misses code for several argument
formats. This patch solves one of them ('u' and 'u#'), patch 985713 solves
another one ('w'). There are several more that need to be solved. I've asked the
patch contributor to write a complete patch, including all missing formats. This
patch is rather straightforward and solves a serious problem, so I'd recommend
accepting it once it is complete.

Patch [ 1167316 ] a fix for doctest crash when it is ran on itself
doctest.py in Lib fails when it is run on itself. The error is due to missing
"import doctest" statements and similar small problems in the doctest
docstrings. Patch seems to work correctly.

Patch [ 1166780 ] Fix _tryorder in webbrowser.py
In webbrowser.py, a user can override the default list of web browsers to be
opened by setting the BROWSER variable. Currently, if BROWSER is set, the
default list is not used at all. The patch contributor notes that if BROWSER is
set incorrectly, this may result in no browser being opened at all. While this
is true, seeing a different browser open instead of the one specified in BROWSER
may lead to confusion, and may lead to future bug reports saying "webbrowser.py
ignores the BROWSER variable" if a user sets BROWSER incorrectly. So my
suggestion is to at least print a warning message if the browser specified in
BROWSER cannot be used, and then proceed by opening one of the default browsers.

Patch [ 764221 ] add set/getattr interface to tkFont.Font objects
This patch has already made it into Python2.4, so I think this patch can be closed.

Patch [ 1163314 ] the quotes page on the Web site links to something broken
The patch writer is correct that the link is broken, but it's not a Python bug.
I've suggested him to write to the web master.

--
Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science