[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Python thread_pthread.h, 2.53, 2.53.4.1

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue Mar 29 15:35:46 CEST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Andrew MacIntyre wrote:
>
>> This change has broken the build on FreeBSD 4.x for me:
>>
>> gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
>> -Wstrict-prototypes -
>> I. -I./Include  -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Python/thread.o Python/thread.c
>> In file included from Python/thread.c:101:
>> Python/thread_pthread.h:19: syntax error
>> *** Error code 1
>

> This should be fixed now, please try again and report whether it
> works.

It does.

> It would be really nice if you could try to analyse such problems
> deeper in the future.

I would have if I'd had the time; sorry that I didn't state that.
All I really intended was to alert Anthony to a problem on a widely used
but non-primary target platform, so that he could make a decision about
whether to worry about it or not for the 2.4.1 release.  I had intended
(but again didn't state) to follow this up at the earliest opportunity
(which probably would have been this evening).

> In this case, it would have helped if you
> had reported that _POSIX_SEMAPHORES is defined as
>
> #define _POSIX_SEMAPHORES
>
> so that the #if line expands to
>
> #if == -1
>
> The standard solution in this case is to write
>
> #if (_POSIX_SEMAPHORES+0) == -1

First time I can recall seeing that sort of situation - which I guess
shows my lack of serious cross-platform C programming experience.

Thanks for the fix and taking the time to explain.

Regards,
Andrew.