[Python-Dev] using SCons to build Python

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Mar 30 00:21:33 CEST 2005

On Mar 29, 2005, at 5:15 PM, Aahz wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2005, Adam MacBeth wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone ever considered using SCons to build Python? SCons is a
>> great build tool written in Python that provides some Autoconf-like
>> functionality (http://www.scons.org). It seems like this type of
>> self-hosting would be a great testament to the power of Python as well
>> as helping to reinforce the strength of SCons as a next generation
>> build tool.
>
> Unfortunately, this leads to a bootstrapping problem.  :-(  It might be
> worthwhile investigating moving parts of CPython's build process to
> SCons, but core Python needs to stick with make.  If you want to push
> this idea forward, you'll probably need to create a proof-of-concept.

I think it would also be important for SCons to gain more traction
amongst the Python community before it filters into the core.

All of the Python extensions I use, and the ones I write myself, are
built using distutils.  I'm not really fond of distutils, but last I
looked at SCons it didn't seem like a big enough win for
mostly-Python-projects..  The fact that it uses 1.5.2-isms, where
distutils has (in theory) moved beyond that, makes it even less of a
sell to me.

-bob