[Python-Dev] using SCons to build Python

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Mar 30 01:49:02 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 20:55, Adam MacBeth wrote:
> Has anyone ever considered using SCons to build Python? SCons is a
> great build tool written in Python that provides some Autoconf-like
> functionality (http://www.scons.org). It seems like this type of
> self-hosting would be a great testament to the power of Python as well
> as helping to reinforce the strength of SCons as a next generation
> build tool.

SCons is cool and all -- I use it as a build tool for some of our
products -- but it has a lot of quirks and takes a lot of getting used
to.  The autoconf-based build that we have now works well enough (for
*nix) so IMO, switching to SCons is effort that would be better spent
elsewhere.  I don't see lots of upside to switching.

-Barry