[Python-Dev] PEP 340 -- loose ends
Guido van Rossum
gvanrossum at gmail.com
Tue May 3 02:55:56 CEST 2005
These are the loose ends on the PEP (apart from filling in some
1. Decide on a keyword to use, if any.
2. Decide on the else clause.
3. Decide on Phillip Eby's proposal to have a different API for
blocks, so you would have to use a @decorator to turn a generator into
something usable in a block.
Here are my strawman decisions, to the extent that I'm clear on them:
1. I still can't decide on keyword vs. no keyword, but if we're going
to have a keyword, I haven't seen a better proposal than block. So
it's either block or nothing. I'll sleep on this. Feel free to start
an all-out flame war on this in c.l.py. ;-)
2. No else clause; the use case is really weak and there are too many
possible semantics. It's not clear whether to generalize from
for/else, or if/else, or what else.
3. I'm leaning against Phillip's proposal; IMO it adds more complexity
for very little benefit.
Unless there's more discussion on any of these, I'll probably finish
up the PEP and post it to c.l.py in a few days.
--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)
More information about the Python-Dev