[Python-Dev] Need to hook Py_FatalError

James William Pye jwp at localhost.lit.jwp.name
Wed May 4 19:52:53 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 15:29 +0000, M.Utku K. wrote:
> Extension developer may discard or call them at his own will.

That's the issue, an extension developer shouldn't be able to discard
it, as I, the embedder, do not want my hook to be clobbered. The
extension developer doesn't set the context of the application, the
embedder does.

> What if more than one extension needs it ?

Firstly, I don't think it is likely an extension module *by itself*
would ever have to initialize something that would *require* some form
of cleanup if the app were to fatal out. If it did, I imagine that it
would be suspect of poor design, any exceptions likely to be few and far
between. Now, that doesn't mean its use during the process might not
create some state or side effect where cleanup would be nice. Although,
chances are that such cleanup should occur during normal operations, and
be handled via a Python exception, something that a fatal is not.
--
Regards, James William Pye