[Python-Dev] New Py_UNICODE doc

Nicholas Bastin nbastin at opnet.com
Fri May 6 20:51:12 CEST 2005

On May 6, 2005, at 3:25 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> I don't see why you shouldn't use Py_UNICODE buffer directly.
> After all, the reason why we have that typedef is to make it
> possible to program against an abstract type - regardless of
> its size on the given platform.

Because the encoding of that buffer appears to be different depending
on the configure options.  If that isn't true, then someone needs to
change the doc, and the configure options.  Right now, it seems *very*
clear that Py_UNICODE may either be UCS-2 or UCS-4 encoded if you read
the configure help, and you can't use the buffer directly if the
encoding is variable.  However, you seem to be saying that this isn't
true.

--
Nick