[Python-Dev] New Py_UNICODE doc

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri May 6 22:02:03 CEST 2005

Nicholas Bastin wrote:
> On May 6, 2005, at 3:17 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>

>>You've got that wrong: Python let's you choose UCS-4 -
>>UCS-2 is the default.
>

> No, that's not true.  Python lets you choose UCS-4 or UCS-2.  What the
> default is depends on your platform.  If you run raw configure, some
> systems will choose UCS-4, and some will choose UCS-2.  This is how the
> conversation came about in the first place - running ./configure on
> RHL9 gives you UCS-4.

Hmm, looking at the configure.in script, it seems you're right.
I wonder why this weird dependency on TCL was added. This was
certainly not intended (see the comment):

if test $enable_unicode = yes
then
  # Without any arguments, Py_UNICODE defaults to two-byte mode
  case "$have_ucs4_tcl" in
  yes) enable_unicode="ucs4"
       ;;
  *)   enable_unicode="ucs2"
       ;;
  esac
fi

The annotiation suggests that Martin added this.

Martin, could you please explain why the whole *Python system*
should depend on what Unicode type some installed *TCL system*
is using ? I fail to see the connection.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 06 2005)