[Python-Dev] New Py_UNICODE doc

Nicholas Bastin nbastin at opnet.com
Sun May 8 20:46:10 CEST 2005

On May 8, 2005, at 1:44 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> Fair enough.  The original point is that the documentation is unclear
>> about what a Py_UNICODE[] contains.  I deduced that it contains either
>> UCS2 or UCS4 and implemented accordingly.  Not only did I guess wrong,
>> but others will probably guess wrong too.  Something in the docs needs
>> to spell this out.
>
> Again, patches are welcome. I was opposed to Nick's proposed changes,
> since they explicitly said that you are not supposed to know what
> is in a Py_UNICODE. Integrating the essence of PEP 261 into the
> main documentation would be a worthwhile task.

You can't possibly assume you know specifically what's in a Py_UNICODE
in any given python installation.  If someone thinks this statement is
untrue, please explain why.

I realize you might not *want* that to be true, but it is.  Users are
free to configure their python however they desire, and if that means
--enable-unicode=ucs2 on RH9, then that is perfectly valid.

--
Nick