[Python-Dev] PEP 340: Deterministic Finalisation (new PEP draft, either a competitor or update to PEP 340)

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Mon May 9 20:11:44 CEST 2005

Josiah Carlson wrote:

 > Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
 >
 >> There's also the possibility to use conditional looping based on the
value returned from the generator.

 >> do VAR from EXPR if VAR==CONST:
 >>    BLOCK
 >>
 >> This is a bit verbose, but it reads well. :-)
 >

 > Reading well or not, this is not really an option for the same reasons
 > why...
 >
 >   for VAR in EXPR1 if EXPR2:
 > or
 >   for VAR in EXPR1 while EXPR2:
 >
 > are not options.  Keep it simple.

Yes, so just "do [VAR from] EXPR1:"

 >>    3.  Do-loops: An generator based loop with finalization:  This
could be both single and multiple pass.  The difference is determined by
weather or not the generator used loops the yield statement or not.

 > Offering only generator-based finalization loops is, as I understand it,
 > not an option.

It could also include class's with __exit__ methods which are really
just more complex generators when used this way.

But isn't this what PEP340 *already* proposes?  Or am I missing a subtle
distinction here.

-Ron