[Python-Dev] PEP 340: Deterministic Finalisation (new PEP draft, either a competitor or update to PEP 340)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue May 10 04:45:44 CEST 2005

Ron Adam wrote:

> That's sort of why I'm against changing 'for', and for adding
> the new loop/block.  I see it as a loop with a higher level of
> abstraction. A new tool to be used in new ways, but I want to keep my
> old dependable tools too.

But if there's too much overlap in functionality
between the old and the new tool, you're in danger
of losing TOOWTDI.

Random thought for the day:

Programming tools are different from physical tools.
I own quite a few different screwdrivers, several
of which would be more or less equally good for
any particular screw, and this isn't a problem.
But I don't have a big crowd of people looking
over my shoulder while I work, all trying to figure
out why I chose one particular screwdriver over
another, and decide which would be the best
screwdriver to use on their screws.