[Python-Dev] PEP 343 - Abstract Block Redux

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat May 14 12:08:29 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I've written up the specs for my "PEP 340 redux" proposal as a
> separate PEP, PEP 343.
>
> http://python.org/peps/pep-0343.html
>
> Those who have been following the thread "Merging PEP 310 and PEP
> 340-redux?" will recognize my proposal in that thread, which received
> mostly positive responses there.
>
> Please review and ask for clarifications of anything that's unclear.

intuitively, I'm -1 on this proposal.

unlike the original design, all you get from this is
the ability to add try/finally blocks to your code
without ever writing a try/finally-clause (neither
in your code or in the block controller).  that
doesn't strike me as especially pythonic.

(neither does the argument that just because you
can use a mechanism to write inscrutable code,
such a mechanism must not be made available
feel right; Python's design has always been about
careful tradeoffs between policy and mechanism,
but this is too much policy for my taste.  the
original PEP 340 might have been too clever, but
this reduced version feels pretty pointless).

</F>