[Python-Dev] Adventures with Decimal

Facundo Batista facundobatista at gmail.com
Fri May 20 23:23:25 CEST 2005

On 5/20/05, Michael Chermside <mcherm at mcherm.com> wrote:

> In other words, Java's behavior is much closer to the current behavior
> of Python, at least in terms of features that are user-visible. The
> default behavior in Java is to have infinite precision unless a context
> is supplied that says otherwise. So the constructor that takes a string
> converts it faithfully, while the constructor that takes a context
> obeys the context.

Are we hitting that point where the most important players (Python and
Java, ;) implement the standard almost fully compliant, and then the
standard revises *that* behaviour?

For the record, I'm -0 for changing the actual behaviour: I'd really
like to implement exactly the Spec, but I think it's more important
the practical reasons we have to don't do it.

.    Facundo

PyAr: http://www.python.org/ar/